MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (November, 2019)
Great day to be in studio for the CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel, alongside Mark Warner and John Northcott (for those who watched live, we had a bit of fun with a Coldplay walk on).
- CN Rail Strike. As the days tick by, this week’s CN Rail strike could have a considerable impact on the Canadian economy. What should the next steps be to resolve the impasse?
- Lowe’s Closes More Canadian Stores. Posting disappointing financial results has led to Lowe’s closing more Canadian stores in an already competitive market. Should we be surprised by this development and is more of the same on the way for the retail sector?
- EasyJet Goes Carbon Neutral. As interest in the environment continues to increase, airlines are considering how to offset their carbon footprint. Will easyJet’s plan make a difference?
It’s no secret that Canada is a geographically vast country and logistics can be challenging, especially for some industries where there are limited options. In an already uncertain global economic environment, delays in getting products to market or receiving essential supplies could start to snowball, financially impacting companies and our country. Having said that, how long should the collective bargaining process have to reach a solution? Both the company and its employees should be front and centre in situations like this, recognizing the essential nature of their service and the responsibility that goes along with it.
Consumers have lots of choice when procuring home improvement goods, be it online or in a host of retail options within their community. A core aspect of this that doesn’t get as much time in the conversation as it should is service, as this is arguably a key driver in consumer behaviour. A favourable retail experience, be it in a store or online, can directly impact whether or not a consumer makes future purchases, as well as the “story” that they share with others. If stores are “under performing” in a competitive environment, it is critical to understand why so that retailers can become more effective in these areas, in addition to right-sizing their offering.
In the category of the future is now, environment related stories continue to make news, the latest being easyJet’s plan to ensure that their flights are carbon neutral. Although it’s difficult to argue with companies that adopt plans to help the environment (but, there are those who spend time doing so), it’s having a strategic approach that matters, including establishing tactics, milestones, and performance review guidelines. It will be interesting to see of the aviation industry will work collaboratively to find industry solutions, thereby focusing more broadly than on individual companies; a world of opportunity awaits.
As 2019 moves into its final month, there are still many business stories to discuss. I’ve made a prediction of what might be on the menu for my next studio visit; let’s see if I’m right. Thanks for watching and see you in a few weeks, CBC!
- MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (November, 2023) - November 7, 2023
- MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (September, 2023) - September 11, 2023
- Celebrating 6 Years on the CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (August, 2023) - August 30, 2023