MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (October, 2017)
Pleased to have returned to the CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel this past weekend, joining Elmer Kim and Aarti Pole. We discussed the week in business, including:
- The final chapter for Sears: Court OK’s Sears’ Liquidation, All Stores to Close With 12,000 people losing their jobs and the prevalence of Sears stores in smaller communities, what does this closure mean for them? What is the current state of the retail industry and what trends can consumers expect next?
- NAFTA News: Trudeau Heads to Mexico After Blunt Talk About Alternatives to NAFTA Where could NAFTA negotiations go from here? Could a bilateral agreement between Canada and the US be on the table, and if so, what could this mean for Mexico?
- Small Business Week: 2017 Event to Help Entrepreneurs Focus on the Future With approximately 98% of all Canadian businesses having less than 100 employees, small to medium-sized businesses are the backbone of the Canadian economy. What are some of the critical issues that they currently face?
The demise of Sears reinforces just how much the retail industry has changed, in terms of how goods are purchased and the type of shopping environment that people seek. Expect more changes to come, particularly in terms of the logistical aspects of this sector.
Many, if not most, Canadians are surprised to learn just how much of the economy is comprised of small businesses. Given the increased uncertainty in the US political environment, it stands to reason that countries (and companies) are seeking out business partners and suppliers with greater stability. This represents an important opportunity for companies in Canada, but conducting the right research and planning in advance are integral. Is your business ready?
Thanks very much, CBC, for the opportunity to share my views on these stories with your viewers. See you again soon!
- MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (May, 2021) - May 3, 2021
- MEDIA:CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (April, 2021) - April 5, 2021
- MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (February, 2021) - February 8, 2021