MEDIA: Will COVID19 Change the Way We Do Business in the Future? (CJAD 800 AM)
Pleased to join Natasha Hall of CJAD 800 AM radio (Montreal) to discuss recent COVID19 developments and how it might change the way we do business in the future. As business leaders and their staff members scramble to deal with the current challenge, it is an interesting question to consider what this experience might mean for the future. Will work ever be the same again, or is the world of business forever changed?
Consider a few simple examples:
- The “office job”, could lend itself well to working on a remote basis; but is it that simple? Anyone who has managed a staff group remotely, such as in a different geographic location, can appreciate just how much this differs from managing a team that is under the same roof. What are some areas that need to be addressed in order to do this effectively?
- The “service job”, which could include a wide range of companies, such as wellness, food, and household services. Many of these require interaction on a personal level, such as visiting a hair stylist, repair shop, or tailor, but will these companies face higher standards in the future, such as in terms of cleanliness and service delivery guidelines? How will this impact how a business is managed?
- The “user experience”, such as transportation, hospitality, and events. Most of us are familiar with what it’s like to travel on a crowded plane, train, or bus or to spend time in a restaurant, hotel, or entertainment venue. Will “personal space” or cleaning requirements change? What could this mean for a company’s cost structure and viability going forward?
There are certainly some interesting areas to consider, that meet at the intersection of a company, its management, and customer/client base. Given the experience of COVID19, it stands to reason that there will be an additional factor that could play a significant role: the notion of space, designed to protect people from that which could hurt them. In this case, it’s protection from a global virus without a cure, one that has kept people isolated worldwide for weeks, months, maybe longer.
So, will COVID19 change the way that we do business in the future? You can listen to our conversation here; with my thanks to Natasha Hall!
- MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (September 11, 2021) - September 12, 2021
- MEDIA: CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (September, 2021) - September 7, 2021
- Celebrating 4 Years on the CBC News Network Weekend Business Panel (August, 2021) - August 30, 2021